Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sometimes I have epiphanies.

Good afternoon, bloggers! Wow, it's been awhile! Hello August!

So I thought I would tell you about my Sunday. Today I had an epiphany. What's an epiphany you say? Well according to Dictionary.com it is as such, "An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is the sudden realization or comprehension of the larger essence or meaning of something. The term is used in either a philosophical or literal sense to signify that the claimant has "found the last piece of the puzzle and now sees the whole picture," or has new information or experience, often insignificant by itself, that illuminates a deeper or numinous foundational frame or reference."
...Couldn't say that better myself.

What did I go and have an epiphany for, you ask? Well, if you don't know me, let me give you the reader's digest of my brain. It's slower than some. It's hard for my brain to wrap itself around the obvious answers in life. I tend to figure out a harder way for everything. So today, even though I was so exhausted, I decided to get up at 7:30 AM and get ready for church a little earlier than usual. I was ready a little before 9 (church starts at 9:30). What was I going to do with all that spare time?

Be prepared....this is where my epiphany kicked in...

I unconsciously walked over to our adorably old piano and started to play.
....I know what you're thinking...."Wow, Kiah that's a lame epiphany." Well guess what, I'm not done telling you the story.

So I've been playing the piano since I was 6. Yes the young age of 6.
I wanted so badly to learn how to play. I continued lessons until I was 12 years old. I learned all the basics of music and piano playing in those 6 years, and then just taught myself the rest after that. I absolutely adored playing the piano.

For some reason or another, I stopped playing just for pure enjoyment. I became the accompanist for many church functions, and any rehearsal help for choir or plays. The last two years of High School I auditioned and made it into zero hour Jazz Band. I didn't enjoy it. Sure some of the songs were fun, but I wasn't playing what I wanted to play. I started to care less and less for the piano. I think I became used to playing what others wanted me to play. I stopped practicing the piano all together. The piano at my house became a "dust collector".

The past couple months I've been down, emotionally, physically, psychologically, anything else you could imagine. I haven't been my happy self. I've been rolling with the punches day to day. I had no idea what to do. I figured I just had to wait for college to start, then I'd be fine with a fresh start. I've been thinking lately, that I needed something for me. Just for me. Just to get me by.

I had no idea my answer was going to be as simple as playing the piano.

So back to this morning. I sat at the piano until almost 9:30. That was the most amazing half hour of my whole life. Seriously. I couldn't stop smiling as I was playing. I just let my fingers go. All of this passion was pouring out of my fingertips. It was like I had never stopped playing.

I couldn't believe how happy it made me. Who knew that could be the answer to my prayer. I'm so thankful for the simple joys in life that come to us when we least expect them.

Go and do something you love. Just for you
Kiah

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kiah. I just discovered your blog on F.B. Your epiphany is very cool Kiah! I'm happy for you, and inspired. I went through the same thing with exercise. I roller-bladed simply for enjoyment for 3 years, (usually 6 days each week). Then decided to do train for a triathlon. I still haven't gotten a bike, or swimming lessons (I know... an adult needing to learn to breathe is a scary thing!), and ended up being on wheels only a couple of days each week all summer! I just decided to just do what I feel like doing for exercise and do a triathlon whenever I finally get ready. The result: I'm now exercising consistently again, and suddenly am starting to love running! :D And, I still plan to do a triathlon, when ever I get ready. :o

    Corine Moore
    from Hayden

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear about your epiphany. I also found that the piano was the answer to so many of my crazy emotions at about the age of 16. I've been tuning everything out and entering my own little "piano world" since. It is a wonderful escape and a time of great pleasure for me. Best of all ... it doesn't cost a thing and makes other people happy too.

    Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete